Deligirls delichicks delizombies forum and news about Journey the all american band and frontman Arnel Pineda

HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park

Go down 
AuthorMessage
chooch

PostSubject: 9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park   Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 am

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_7ejp9Cf0&feature=user

Lights video...waving of celphone ito sbi ni abby hehe instead of lighters..lol!!!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJ4W78W-H8&feature=user

ito ang vid where Papi bumped with Neal after jumping sa riser hehehehe..

flower cherry cherry Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
luna

PostSubject: Re: 9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park   Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:18 pm

thanks for the links, cala. galing ni papi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
busilakbu

PostSubject: Re: 9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:47 am

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/entertainment/1155897,6_5_NA11_JOURNEY_S1.article#

Believe it: Journey headed to Tinley Park with Heart and Cheap Trick

September 11, 2008

By Alan Sculley Special to The Sun

When Journey guitarist Neal Schon first ran across a video of the man who would be the group's new singer, he thought it was too good to be true.

Schon had been surfing through the Web site YouTube, looking for candidates to take over the vocal slot from Jeff Scott Soto, and the search was wearing on him.

"I looked at most for two or three days, and right at the point where I was so frustrated, not finding what I was looking for, I was about to throw up my arms saying, 'This is going to be impossible,' I stumbled across a clip of Arnel (Pineda)," Schon said in a recent phone interview. "Then I went to his site and saw that he had 40 different video clips of him doing everybody. He was doing (Led) Zeppelin, he was doing Sting, he was doing Heart, he was doing Journey, he was doing Aerosmith, which is not an easy voice to do - and very well, all of them."

Instead of being elated at his good fortune, Schon was skeptical.

"I just went, 'That's too good,'" Schon said. "So I just got up and went, 'I've got to get out of here. I think I'm listening to stuff and it sounds much better than it really is.'"

It turned out that Schon's ears - and Pineda's YouTube clips - weren't deceiving him.

"I came back and put it back on and I was totally amazed," he said.

Soon, Schon was on the phone with Pineda, asking him to come from his home in the Philippines for an in-person audition to replace Soto, who was with Journey for about a year.

Soto, though, did come through for Journey when the band was in a real pinch. He replaced Steve Augeri, who had joined the group in 1998, filling the slot vacated by the highly popular Steve Perry, who sang hits like "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'," "Anyway You Want It," "Don't Stop Believing" and "Open Arms" that made Journey one of the most popular bands of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Augeri had to leave the group mid-tour in 2006 because of vocal problems. Soto stepped in on short notice and allowed Journey to complete its touring commitments.

"His last show with us, seriously he had no voice," Schon said of Augeri. "He could barely sing two songs in our set. Our drummer, Deen Castronovo, came out front and his drum tech played drums and Deen sang for the set. You know, it's a rough gig, but if you can't do it, you can't do it. The show must go on."

Obviously, Schon thinks Pineda can handle the demands of being Journey's singer - and following in the imposing footsteps of Perry.

"He wasn't new to the music business," Schon said. "He'd been singing for years, but just barely making it in the Philippines, with not a lot of success. But he was signed to MCA over there with his band, the Zoo. He apparently had some success over there."

Fans will have a good chance to get acquainted with Pineda this summer. He'll be with Journey (which also includes keyboardist Jonathan Cain and bassist Ross Valory) on an extensive summer tour, with Heart and Cheap Trick serving as opening acts.

Schon hinted that Journey's 90-minute headlining set could have some surprises.

"We're definitely going to play the hits," he said. "We're going to play new stuff as well. And who knows (from there) ... I want to try and segue a lot of this stuff and write some new little bits and pieces in between songs."

The new songs Schon mentioned are from the release, "Revelation." It's a three-disc set that includes one CD with 11 new songs, a second disc with 11 classic Journey tracks re-recorded with Pineda on vocals, and a live DVD featuring Pineda.

"Revelation" is being sold exclusively through Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores. Music fans may recall that the current Eagles CD, "Long Road Out of Eden," was sold exclusively through those stores.

"Long Road Out of Eden" became a multi-platinum smash, and early signs for "Revelation" are encouraging. The set sold 104,000 units in its first week following its June 3 release - a 1,400-percent increase over the first-week performance of the band's 2005 CD, "Generations," according to Journey's Web site.

Schon said initially Wal-Mart wanted the band simply to re-record a set of hits, supplemented by four new songs on a single CD. The band went with the plan, but not for long.

"We prepared the four new songs, and the more I thought about it, the more it was not sitting well with me, the whole concept of just doing the older material and not so much new material," Schon said. "The more I thought about it, I said I want to do a full CD."

Schon said the new songs on "Revelation" recall classic Journey.

"It sounds updated, but it sounds like old (Journey)," he said. "It sounds like us in the '80s. And some of it goes back more, like into the (late 1970s) 'Infinity' era, like a song like 'What I Needed.'"

Last edited by busilakbu on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://janelvl.blogspot.com
busilakbu

PostSubject: Re: 9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:50 am

http://www.southtownstar.com/entertainment/1162494,091408journey.article

New frontman leads Journey through crowd favorites

September 14, 2008
Recommend (14)

BY Vickie Snow Correspondent

When it came to classic rock band Journey, the question used to be, "Who's even left in the band?"

Now it's, "Who is that guy?"

Arnel Pineda is the new little dynamo fronting Journey, who headlined in concert Friday at the First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre in Tinley Park .

Small in stature but huge on lungpower, Pineda is breathing new life into the band that's had Steve Augeri and Jeff Scott Soto on lead vocals since the legendary Steve Perry's departure more than a decade ago.

Guitarist Neal Schon discovered Pineda on YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/> singing Journey's "Faithfully" with his band the Zoo. The 41-year-old, formerly homeless Filipino was flown to the states and hired after three days of auditions and then six songs in one day at the studio.

In June, Journey - original members Schon and bassist Ross Valory with Pineda, drummer Deen Castronovo and longtime keyboardist Jonathan Cain, of Chicago - released its first album with Pineda, "Revelation." The double-CD of new and old material packaged with a concert DVD debuted at No. 5 on Billboard.

Now the band's rebirth accelerates with a concert tour drawing new fans, notably throngs of Filipinos proud of their homeland talent.

Whenever Pineda ran to the far sides of the Tinley Park stage - and it was often - fans rushed down the aisles for a chance to touch his hand as if he were a legend.

With nonstop energy, high kicks off the drum riser and oh-so-high notes throughout nearly 20 songs, Pineda is far from a diamond in the rough. Newly discovered yet already polished at showmanship, he proved more than capable of leading Journey into its golden years.

Schon, who opened the 90-minute set with "The Star-Spangled Banner" and continued to impress with pickin,' or Cain, with his versatility on keyboards, guitar and backing and lead vocals, could've easily hogged the spotlight. But all five members of Journey just seem to gel.

The new songs "Never Walk Away," "Change for the Better" and "After All These Years" were mixed in with the favs "Stone in Love," "Separate Ways," "Lights," "Open Arms," "Don't Stop Believin'," "Faithfully," "Wheel in the Sky" and "Any Way You Want It" before an encore of the band's first Top 20 hit "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'."

Pineda runs and kicks, but Heart's Ann Wilson kicks it out with just her incredibly powerful pipes. She has the voice to shoot shivers up and down your skin, and did so again and again, sometimes with just the first few words of a song, such as with "Quite some time" from "Straight On."

She sings so high and heartfelt you almost want to cry, particularly when she was accompanied only by her sister Nancy Wilson on guitar and pigtailed keyboardist Debbie Shair on "Alone."

Nancy Wilson deserves praise, too, for her sweet lead vocals on "These Dreams" and the way she physically gets into playing guitar and mandolin, pounding out bits of "Mistral Wind" before breaking into the encore of "Crazy on You."

Opening with "Wild Child" from the 1990 album "Brigade" and "Magic Man," the Wilsons and their 4-piece band also paid homage to The Who and Led Zeppelin during the hour-long set with a raucous version of "Love Reign O'er Me" and an amiable cover of the already tame "Going to California ."

Heart, who will release a studio album in 2009, also gave fans "Barracuda" with no mention of the cease-and-desist request sent to Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin, who used the song in her campaign without band permission.

While the shed was packed from the pavilion to all the way back on the drenched lawn for Journey, the crowd was still slowly filtering in from Friday-night and rain-related traffic backups on Harlem Avenue and Interstate 80 when Rockford natives Cheap Trick opened at 7 p.m. with "That '70s Show" theme song.

While Journey's had members come and go over the decades, Cheap Trick's staying power can be credited toward, of course, its talent but also its constant original lineup of vocalist and guitarist Robin Zander, guitarist Rick Nielsen, drummer Bun E. Carlos and bassist Tom Petersson.

Sporting a straw cowboy hat that shadowed his fuller face, Zander aimed his microphone at a boy in the front row who shrugged, seemingly at a loss for words. But plenty of fans sang along to "I Want You to Want Me," "If You Want My Love" and "Surrender."

They sat for "The Flame," that sappy song you think you're sick of but then are glad to hear again anyway even if it was your prom theme. Journey's Cain stepped in to play keyboards on "The Flame" and the encore of "Dream Police," the latter also with Journey's Castronovo pitching in vocals.
Back to top Go down
busilakbu

PostSubject: Re: 9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:58 am

chooch wrote:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_7ejp9Cf0&feature=user

Lights video...waving of celphone ito sbi ni abby hehe instead of lighters..lol!!!

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=0rJ4W78W-H8&feature=user

ito ang vid where Papi bumped with Neal after jumping sa riser hehehehe..

flower cherry cherry Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Bago kong favorite: Feeling That Way/Anytime

Duet ni PAPI at Jonathan Cain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UAC0P5esmQ
Back to top Go down
luna

PostSubject: Re: 9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park   Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:28 am

thanks, Dbus for posting the reviews. With the tour still halfway to go, AP is getting stronger and is winning lots of old and new fans. This is his time. flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park   Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:52 pm

AS ALWAYS!! GRABEH HALF WAY PA ALNG BA?????????????!!!! chooch and bus thanks alot!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://modceleste.com/Dz.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park   

Back to top Go down

9/12 /08 Chicago, Tinley Park
Page 1 of 1